FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, Feb. 12, 2018
Meredith Gremel, Vice President, Corporate Affairs & Communications, 616-878-2830
10 semifinalists announced in Our Family® is Souper recipe contest, online voting now open
Winner of the soup recipe contest will receive $2,500 in free groceries
Food pantry in winners’ community will receive $2,500 in Our Family products
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – After receiving hundreds of recipe submissions from across Michigan, SpartanNash today announced its 10 semifinalists in the Our Family® is Souper recipe contest. Voting to determine the top five finalists is now open through the Our Family Facebook page and will continue until Sunday, Feb. 18.
Each semifinalist is also paired with a food pantry in their local community, reinforcing SpartanNash’s commitment to building local relationships and fighting hunger in the communities it serves through its family of retail stores, distribution and service centers and independent customers.
Semifinalists in the Our Family is Souper recipe contest include:
- Rebecca Bartels of Wyoming, for her Fourth Generation Italian Wedding Soup. Rebecca is paired with UCOM.
- Jackie Bogema of Grandville, for her Ground Turkey Minestrone. Jackie is paired with St. Pius X Food Pantry.
- Frederick Brushaber of Grand Blanc, for his Kickin’ Cheeseburger Soup. Frederick is paired with the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan.
- Teresa Fiocchi of Augusta, for her Fiocchi Family Pasta e Fagioli. Teresa is paired with the Food Bank of South Central Michigan.
- Jessica Fritzler of Grand Rapids, for her Crockpot Beef & Vegetable Stew. Jessica is paired with the Northwest Food Pantry.
- Gail Hammon of Nunica, for her Autumn Vegetable Soup (a.k.a. The Healthiest Soup in the World). Gail is paired with Love, Inc. of Allendale.
- Rita Tomaro of Grand Rapids, for her “Delicioso” Mediterranean Sup-perb Soup. Rita is paired with God’s Kitchen.
- Emily VanderLaan of Grand Rapids, for her Chicken and Rice Soup with Chiles and Ginger. Emily is paired with Westside Apostolate Food Pantry.
- Kaye Zbiciak of Hastings, for her Powerhouse Chicken Vegetable Soup. Kaye is paired with the Hastings Area Food Pantry.
- Amy Zeilenga of Door, for her Bacon Corn Chowder. Amy is paired with Buist Community Assistance Center.
Voting through the Our Family Facebook page will be open until Sunday, Feb. 18.
Following the conclusion of the online voting period, the top five finalists selected by popular vote will then have a judged tasting of their soup recipes, with the grand prize winner receiving $2,500 in free groceries and their pantry partner receiving $2,500 worth of Our Family products.
The runner up will also receive $1,500 in free groceries, with their pantry partner receiving $1,500 in Our Family products. Prizes ranging from $1,000 to $250 will be awarded to each of the remaining finalists and their pantry partners, based on the judges’ scoring of each recipe.
The winning recipe will be featured on spartannash.com, ourfamilyfoods.com and Family Fare Supermarkets, D&W Fresh Market, Forest Hills Foods, ValuLand and VG’s websites. Winners will also receive additional recognition, as their recipes and ingredients will be available through Fast Lane, SpartanNash’s seamless online grocery shopping experience.
The Our Family is Souper recipe contest is part of SpartanNash’s introduction of its Our Family® brand in the Michigan market.
As many as 1,700 Our Family products are being introduced at SpartanNash’s 87 corporate-owned retail stores and more than 300 independent retail customers throughout Michigan, offering quality and value in every aisle. The Our Family brand has offered “Quality since 1904,” including a best-in-class, risk-free Satisfaction Plus Guarantee; Facts Up Front nutritional labeling; category specific packaging; and a community support program, Direct Your Labels™.
SpartanNash (Nasdaq: SPTN) is a Fortune 350 company whose core businesses include distributing grocery products to independent grocery retailers, select national accounts, its corporate-owned retail stores and U.S. military commissaries and exchanges. SpartanNash serves customer locations in 47 states and the District of Columbia, Europe, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Italy, Bahrain, Djibouti and Egypt. As of today, SpartanNash currently operates 144 supermarkets, primarily under the banners of Family Fare Supermarkets, D&W Fresh Market, VG’s Grocery, Dan’s Supermarket and Family Fresh Market. Through its MDV military division, SpartanNash is a leading distributor of grocery products to U.S. military commissaries.