FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, July 14, 2016
Meredith Gremel, Vice President, Corporate Affairs & Communications, 616-878-2830|616.450.2169(c)
Culinary competition highlights fresh ingredients, savings available at eight newly renovated Omaha Family Fare Supermarket locations
Winners to be announced as part of ribbon-cutting ceremony celebrating $14.5 million investment
OMAHA, Nebr. – Eight newly renovated and rebranded Family Fare Supermarkets will mark their grand re-openings with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Wednesday, July 20 – but the celebration kicks off a day earlier, when SpartanNash will team up with Metropolitan Community College’s Institute for the Culinary Arts to hold a culinary competition highlighting the fresh, local ingredients and cost savings available at the new and improved Family Fare locations.
The “Perfect Picnic Challenge” will feature eight students from the Institute for the Culinary Arts and will take place at MCC (5370 N. 30th St. in Omaha) on Tuesday, July 19 beginning at 2 p.m.
As a part of the grand re-opening festivities, the students were challenged to develop a menu of their favorite summer recipes – including a sandwich, salad and beverage – sticking to a budget of $20 to feed a family of four.
“SpartanNash is excited about the role food plays in our everyday lives, and we know our Family Fare guests feel the same way,” said Ted Adornato, SpartanNash executive vice president of retail operations. “Our customers want quality, fresh, local meat and produce as well as budget-friendly savings on the things they buy most often. We’ve listened to those requests, and our eight newly renovated neighborhood markets will bring all that and more for families on the go.”
Students will present their picnic-themed creations to a panel of judges for the chance to win $500 for first prize and $250 for second. The winners of the judged competition will be announced during the ribbon-cutting ceremony the following day (see related release for additional remodel and grand re-opening details).
In addition to the paneled contest, the eight students will also be competing via a popular vote, taking place in-store and online July 20-27. Store guests will be able to vote on their favorite food-and-drink combinations, and the winner of the popular vote will have a $1,000 donation made to a local charity in their name. The second-place winner will also have a $500 donation made to a local nonprofit.
During the grand re-opening celebrations on July 20, store guests can sample one student’s creations at each of the Family Fare Supermarket locations, while supplies last. Recipe cards will also be available for all eight summer menus, so customers can recreate their favorite recipes at home.
Participating in the Perfect Picnic Challenge competition are:
- Stephen Meuret – Stephen’s menu includes picnic chicken salad, vegetable skewers and a strawberry lemon spritzer. He will be competing on behalf of Special Olympics Nebraska in the popular vote contest. Sample Stephen’s menu at 3003 108th St., Omaha, Nebr. 68164.
- Angela Nichols – Angela will be preparing Cajun BBQ picnic chicken, creole mustard vinaigrette smashed potato salad and iced café au lait. She will be competing on behalf of Boys Town. Her food can be tasted at 14444 W. Center Road, Omaha, Nebr. 68144.
- Nelson Townsend – Nelson will be serving a spicy tuna salad sandwich with caramelized onion jam, wasabi deviled egg dip with cucumbers and peas and a strawberry orange spritzer. He will be competing on behalf of the Salvation Army of Omaha, and his culinary creations can be sampled at 1801 Valley View Drive, Council Bluffs, Iowa 51503.
- Ketra Thomas – Ketra’s menu includes picnic banh mi, Korean deviled eggs and a ginger-raspberry sunset spritzer. She will be competing on behalf of Goodwill. Pick up samples of Ketra’s perfect picnic at 5110 S. 108th St., Omaha, Nebr. 68137.
- Samantha Carter – Samantha will be preparing grilled vegetable muffaletta, herbaceous fruit salad and a pineapple cooler. She will be competing on behalf of Special Olympics Iowa, and her culinary creations can be tasted at 7402 N. 30th St., Omaha, Nebr. 68112.
- Amber Murphy – Amber will be serving Mexicali turkey sliders with guacamole and cayenne aioli, elote and herbed watermelon sweet tea. She will be competing on behalf of the Fisher House Foundation. Pick up samples of Amber’s perfect picnic at 1510 Harlan Drive, Bellevue, Nebr. 68005.
- George Millan Fernandez – George’s menu includes cucumber tuna rolls, tropical fruit salad and the Colombian fruit drink salpicon. He will be competing on behalf of the Food Bank for the Heartland. Sample George’s menu at 3026 S. 24th St., Omaha, Nebr. 68106.
- Aaron Fox – Aaron will be preparing buttermilk fried chicken with honey mustard sauce, herbed potato salad and peach mango sweet tea. He will be competing on behalf of Habitat for Humanity Omaha. His food can be tasted at 2650 N. 90th St., Omaha, Nebr. 68134.
Voting will take place in-store and on the Family Fare Facebook page.
“Each of our new Family Fare Supermarkets are as much a part of their local community as ever, because relationships matter,” said Meredith Gremel, vice president of corporate affairs and communications for SpartanNash. “In addition to giving our store guests healthy ways to enjoy the summer months and discover the new and exciting offerings in our stores, this culinary competition gives aspiring chefs the opportunity to showcase their skills and earn tuition for themselves and donations for their favorite local charities.”
Eight stores – previously operating as Bag ‘N Save and No Frills Supermarkets – recently underwent a $14.5 million renovation, featuring new aesthetics, expanded produce and organic options, larger craft beer and wine selection and much more. The stores were also rebranded as Family Fare Supermarkets, bringing the total number of Family Fare locations to 14 in the greater Omaha area.
In total, SpartanNash – the company that owns and operates the Family Fare locations as well as three Supermercado Nuestra Familia stores – has invested $31 million into its Omaha stores since 2015.
Grand re-opening events and hours
Grand re-opening events to celebrate the $14.5 million total investment will span eight days (July 20-27), and will include daily giveaways, food samples and surprise and delight offerings throughout the stores, with an emphasis on summer produce and local and living well products. Store guests who shop with their yes Rewards Card between July 20 and the end of August will automatically be entered into the Super Sweepstakes. One lucky winner will win the grand prize – a four-night getaway and two tickets to the 2017 Pro Football Championship in Houston, Texas. Two first-prize winners will receive free groceries for a year.
Store hours are 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. daily.
SpartanNash (Nasdaq: SPTN) is a Fortune 400 company and the leading food distributor serving U.S. military commissaries and exchanges in the world, in terms of revenue. The Company’s core businesses include distributing food to military commissaries and exchanges and independent and corporate-owned retail stores located in 47 states and the District of Columbia, Europe, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Bahrain and Egypt. SpartanNash currently operates 160 supermarkets, primarily under the banners of Family Fare Supermarkets, Family Fresh Markets, D&W Fresh Markets, Econofoods and SunMart.