FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, Oct. 16, 2018
Meredith Gremel, Vice President, Corporate Affairs & Communications, SpartanNash, 616-878-2830
Expanded selection, Betty Kaye’s Smokehouse, Fresh Divide produce station highlight Fenton VG’s renovations
Additional amenities highlight quality and convenience, SpartanNash’s commitment to
corporate responsibility in every aisle
FENTON, Mich. – As part of its $5.4 million investment in the Fenton community, SpartanNash today celebrated the grand reopening of two VG’s Grocery stores, located at 1390 N. Leroy St. and 18005 Silver Parkway. Store guests are invited to discover what’s new and fresh in both stores as part of VG’s weeklong grand reopening celebrations.
“We continue to offer selection, quality and freshness throughout our new and improved Fenton VG’s stores, with our renovations adding even more amenities designed to encourage our store guests to browse, discover and even indulge – all within their family’s budget,” said Bruce Emery, vice president of the Retail East Division for SpartanNash, which owns the two VG’s as well as 139 stores in eight states. “These newly renovated VG’s feature a customer-first focus, as well as unique offerings, local products and everyday values you can’t find anywhere else.”
The two Fenton VG’s stores both celebrated their grand reopening today, with store guests and SpartanNash associates attending back-to-back ribbon-cutting ceremonies. The grand reopening ceremonies also kicked off a week of giveaways and food samples throughout each store.
At each ribbon-cutting ceremony, a pallet of food was donated to the Fenton Area Resources and Referral Network, in addition to donations to local fire and police departments to thank them for all they do in the Fenton community.
Both VG’s stores showcase a commitment to fresh meat, produce, bakery and deli options and convenience and quality in every aisle of the stores. Upgrades to the store include a Fresh Divide station – where store guests can select their produce and have it chopped, diced or sliced on-site – as well as a Betty Kaye’s Smokehouse, where smoked meats are prepared by expert pit masters and paired with special recipe rubs, sauces and hot sides such as mac and cheese and cornbread for a complete take-home, family-style meal.
Other highlights of the stores’ transformations include:
- Expanded bakery and deli sections, featuring a menu of specialty, made-to-order bakery items and grab-and-go meal solutions including pizza and paninis, as well as a guacamole station, Caesar salad bar, Mediterranean bar and chicken wing bar.
- Sushi bar with rolls and sashimi made fresh daily.
- Donut Dohjo, where gourmet donuts are made fresh every day.
- Expanded beer and wine section, featuring local breweries, wineries and distilleries.
- Corporate responsibility messaging throughout the store, highlighting SpartanNash’s commitments to reducing its carbon footprint, recycling, supporting the local community and more.
- Expanded produce departments with a wide variety of organic and local farm-fresh products.
- Expanded meat department, featuring fresh, store-made varieties of sausages and organic, natural and grass-fed options, as well as an expanded seafood department.
- Additional specialty foods and Living Well options, as well as a continued emphasis on local, organic, gluten-free and on-trend products in every aisle.
- Our Family®, Open Acres™ and other SpartanNash private brands to provide additional savings and selection throughout the store.
The Silver Parkway VG’s also features a bulk foods section, where store guests can make their own peanut butter or take home pre-made containers.
Both VG’s locations continue to offer Fast Lane – SpartanNash’s online grocery shopping experience available at shopthefastlane.com – allowing store guests to easily click and collect their groceries curbside. Fast Lane customers can also opt to have their groceries delivered to their home, with orders shopped at the Silver Parkway VG’s.
“We pay close attention to what our customers expect in a grocery shopping experience,” Emery said. “Our new and improved Fenton VG’s include some exciting ways to better serve our store guests – while still delivering the easy-to-navigate store, weekly ad specials and budget-friendly savings our customers expect. We want to deliver a best-in-class experience with every trip to the grocery store, while keeping it fresh, local and interesting for our customers.”
The transformation of the VG’s stores began in April, when they were reset to make it easier for store guests to navigate the perimeter and aisles. New signs, flooring and décor were also installed to update the interior of the stores, and the exteriors received a facelift – including a new sign at the Leroy St. location. Energy-saving lighting and equipment was also installed to brighten up the shopping experience and reduce energy consumption.
The VG’s Quick Stop, located at 18001 Silver Parkway, also received upgrades as part of the $5.4 million renovation process.
SpartanNash (Nasdaq: SPTN) is a Fortune 400 company whose core businesses include distributing grocery products to a diverse group of independent and chain retailers, its corporate-owned retail stores and U.S. military commissaries and exchanges; as well as premier fresh produce distribution and fresh food processing. SpartanNash serves customer locations in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, Europe, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Bahrain, Djibouti and Egypt. SpartanNash currently operates 139 supermarkets, primarily under the banners of Family Fare Supermarkets, D&W Fresh Market, VG’s Grocery, Dan’s Supermarket and Family Fresh Market. Through its MDV military division, SpartanNash is a leading distributor of grocery products to U.S. military commissaries.