FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Meredith Gremel, Vice President, Corporate Affairs & Communications, SpartanNash, 616-878-2830
SpartanNash Promotes Earth Week Companywide April 15-25
Partnership with Goodwill Industries Expanded across the Country to
43 Retail Stores, 18 Distribution Centers, 3 Service Centers, and 1 Commissary
Grand Rapids, Mich., April 10, 2016 — SpartanNash (Nasdaq: SPTN), the nation’s fifth largest food distributor and leading distributor to U.S. military commissaries and exchanges throughout the world, announced today it is expanding its annual Earth Week celebrations to include 43 corporate owned retail stores, 18 distribution centers, 3 service centers, and 1 Commissary in 14 states, including Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas and Virginia.
This is the third companywide Earth Week initiative since Grand Rapids-based Spartan Stores merged with Minneapolis-based Nash Finch on November 19, 2013. Spartan Stores hosted its first Earth Week activities in 2011 with Goodwill of Greater Grand Rapids (Michigan). Since the partnership was formed, associates and customers have collected and donated over 70,000 pounds of goods and materials to Goodwill partners.
“SpartanNash is committed to corporate responsibility, which includes environmental sustainability and social responsibility initiatives,” notes Meredith Gremel, Vice President of Corporate Affairs and Communications and Executive Director of the SpartanNash Foundation. “We are very excited to expand our partnership with 19 Goodwill affiliates throughout our retail and distribution center markets. We’re doing so by challenging our associates and customers to do some spring cleaning and donate their clothing, electronics and household items to Goodwill Industries, thereby reducing landfill waste, promoting reuse of products and creating jobs through Goodwill’s Back to Work Programs. Plus, we’re making it convenient and doing a lot of the heavy lifting for them.”
SpartanNash Earth Week events will kick off on April 15 and run through April 25, depending on the market. Associates and customers of participating retail stores, as well as associates at the company’s distribution centers and service centers in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Norfolk, Virginia, and Edina, Minnesota, are encouraged to drop off clothing, electronics (they do not have to work) and household items at the truck or pod located at participating locations. (See locations/dates listed below, or turn to www.spartannash.com/Goodwill). Goodwill staff will be on hand at the trucks to help load the donations and to provide tax deductible receipts and thank you coupons good for a Full Circle item at SpartanNash retail stores.
Any customer who uploads a photo of his or her on-site donation to any social network, using the hashtag #SNGWEarthWeek, will be entered to win one of twenty-five $25 SpartanNash store gift cards.
Additional fun and educational Earth Week activities are planned companywide at SpartanNash to celebrate the importance of sustainability, including a bag design contest, giveaways of seeds and reusable bags, U.S. flag collection and Earth Week bakery competitions.
SpartanNash also has created an internal competition in which the retail store and distribution center that collect the most donations win a traveling trophy and bragging rights for a year. Last year, D&W Fresh Market Knapp Corner in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and SpartanNash’s Omaha Distribution Center won the traveling trophies. In keeping with the Earth Week theme, the traveling trophies are made from old repurposed trophies or reclaimed wood.
Goodwill Industries Partnership
SpartanNash is excited to partner with 21 different Goodwill organizations in 14 states to offer associates and customers the opportunity to conveniently donate goods and materials to a local Goodwill organization in celebration of Earth Day.
Goodwill Industries of Greater Grand Rapids
- Saturday, April 16, 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., and Sunday, April 17, 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- D&W – Breton Village – 1814 Breton Rd SE, Grand Rapids, MI
- D&W – Cascade – 6425 28th St SE, Cascade, MI
- D&W – Gaslight Village – 2181 Wealthy St SE, Grand Rapids, MI
- D&W – Knapp – 2022 Apple Orchard Ave, Grand Rapids, MI
- Family Fare – Breton Meadows – 4325 Breton Rd SE, Grand Rapids, MI
- Family Fare – Fulton Heights – 1415 E Fulton St, Grand Rapids, MI
- Family Fare – Leonard – 1225 Leonard St NE, Grand Rapids, MI
- Family Fare – Northland Dr – 5241 Northland Dr NE, Grand Rapids, MI
- Family Fare – Rockford – 201 Marcell Dr NE, Rockford, MI
- Forest Hills Foods – 4668 Cascade Rd SE, Grand Rapids, MI
- Saturday, April 23, 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., and Sunday, April 24, 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- D&W – Caledonia – 9375 Cherry Valley Ave SE, Caledonia, MI
- Family Fare – Burlingame – 2900 Burlingame Ave SW, Wyoming, MI
- Family Fare – Byron Center – 2245 84th St SW, Byron Center, MI
- Family Fare – Georgetown – 6480 28th Ave, Hudsonville, MI
- Family Fare – Grandville – 3960 44th St SW, Grandville, MI
- Family Fare – Hudsonville – 5221 Cherry Ave, Hudsonville, MI
- Family Fare – Jenison – 1965 Baldwin St, Jenison, MI
- Family Fare – Kentwood – 127 Kalamazoo SE, Kentwood, MI
- Family Fare – Lake Michigan Dr – 2755 Lake Michigan Dr NW, Grand Rapids, MI
- Family Fare – Metro – 2275 Health Drive SW, Wyoming, MI
- Family Fare – Rogers Plaza – 1148 28th St SW, Wyoming, MI
- Family Fare – Sparta – 565 S State St, Sparta, MI
Goodwill Industries of Western Michigan
- Saturday, April 16, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- D&W – Holland – 50 Douglas Ave, Holland, MI
- Family Fare – Zeeland – 9479 Riley St, Zeeland, MI
Customers donating directly to the below Goodwill collection facilities can take their donation receipt to the customer service desk of the partnering D&W or Family Fare to receive a Full Circle Coupon.
- Saturday, April 16, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Goodwill – 5269 Lake Michigan Dr, Allendale Charter Twp, MI
- Family Fare – Allendale – 6370 Lake MI Dr, Allendale, MI
- Goodwill – 1141 W Randall St, Coopersville, MI
- Family Fare – Coopersville – 1181 W Randall, Coopersville, MI
- Grand Haven
- Goodwill – 1112 Robbins Rd, Grand Haven, MI
- D&W – Grand Haven – 1116 Robbins Rd, Grand Haven, MI 49417
Goodwill Industries of Southwestern Michigan
- Saturday, April 16, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- D&W – Portage – 525 Romence Road, Portage, MI
Goodwill Industries of Central Michigan’s Heartland
- Saturday, April 16, 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Family Fare – Lakeview – 45 East Columbia, Battle Creek, MI
Goodwill Industries Easter Seals of North Dakota (Fargo)
- Saturday, April 23, 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Family Fare – Fargo – 3175 25th Street So, Fargo, ND
- Sunday, April 24, 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Family Fare – Fargo – 724 N University Dr, Fargo, ND
Goodwill Industries in Omaha
- Saturday, April 23, and Sunday, April 24, 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Family Fare – Blair –238 S 8th St, Blair, NE
- Family Fare – Elkhorn – 1221 S 203 Rd St, Omaha, NE
- Family Fare – Grover – 5019 Grover St, Omaha, NE
- Family Fare – Harrison St – 5101 Harrison St, Omaha, NE
- Family Fare – Papillion – 1230 N Washington St, Papillion, NE
- Family Fare – Saddle Creek – 820 N Saddle Creek Rd, Omaha, NE
Goodwill Partnerships with Our Distribution Centers
SpartanNash associates are able to participate in on-site Goodwill donation drives at 18 distribution centers, including:
- Bellefontaine Distribution Center in partnership with Goodwill Easter Seals of Miami Valley
- Bluefield Distribution Center in partnership with Goodwill Industries of Tenneva Area, Inc.
- Fargo Distribution Center in partnership with Easter Seals Goodwill of North Dakota
- Grand Rapids Distribution Center in partnership with Goodwill of Greater Grand Rapids
- Lima Distribution Center in partnership with Goodwill Easter Seals of Miami Valley
- Lumberton Distribution Center in partnership with Goodwill of Eastern North Carolina
- MDV Bloomington in partnership with Goodwill of Central Indiana
- MDV Columbus in partnership with Goodwill of the Southern Rivers
- MDV Landover in partnership with Goodwill of Greater Washington
- MDV Norfolk in partnership with Goodwill Virginia
- MDV Oklahoma City in partnership with Goodwill of Central Oklahoma
- MDV Pensacola in partnership with Goodwill Easter Seals of the Gulf Coast
- MDV San Antonio in partnership with Goodwill San Antonio
- Minot Distribution Center in partnership with Easter Seals Goodwill of North Dakota
- Omaha Distribution Center in partnership with Goodwill of Omaha
- Sioux Falls Distribution Center in partnership with Goodwill of the Great Plains
- St. Cloud Distribution Center in partnership with Goodwill Easter Seals
- Statesboro Distribution Center in partnership with Goodwill of the Coastal Empire
Goodwill Partnerships with Our Service Centers
SpartanNash associates located at three service centers are also able to participate in on-site Goodwill donation drives, including:
- Grand Rapids Service Center in partnership with Goodwill of Greater Grand Rapids
- MDV Norfolk Service Center in partnership with Goodwill Virginia
- Minneapolis Service Center in partnership with Goodwill Easter Seals
Goodwill Partnership with Oceana NAS Commissary
Oceana NAS Commissary is hosting a Goodwill drive in partnership with Goodwill Virginia.
- Friday, April 15, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Oceana NAS Commissary – 1300 Oceana Blvd., Virginia Beach, VA
SpartanNash (SPTN) is a Fortune 400 company and the largest food distributor serving U.S. military commissaries in the United States, in terms of revenue. The Company’s core businesses include distributing grocery products to military commissaries and exchanges and independent and corporate-owned retail stores located in 46 states and the District of Columbia, Europe, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Bahrain and Egypt. SpartanNash currently operates 160 supermarkets, primarily under the banners of Family Fare Supermarkets, Family Fresh Markets, D&W Fresh Markets, and Sun Mart.
About Goodwill Industries
Goodwill Industries is a nonprofit organization dedicated to changing lives and communities through the power of work.