FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016
Meredith Gremel, Vice President, Corporate Affairs & Communications, 616-878-2830
SpartanNash publishes Corporate Responsibility Report
Company’s corporate responsibility commitment includes both social responsibility
and environmental sustainability efforts
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – SpartanNash today announced the publication of its first Corporate Responsibility Report, which details the Fortune 400 company’s social responsibility and environmental sustainability efforts.
The report provides a timeline of SpartanNash’s corporate responsibility journey, as well as information on the company’s corporate giving, volunteer program, recycling efforts, improved transportation fleet efficiency and focus on local and organic products. The full report can be found at SpartanNash.com/CR-Report.
Through its corporate responsibility commitments and programs, SpartanNash is living its vision of being a best-in-class business that feels local, where relationships matter.
“SpartanNash is mindful that our business decisions, products, services and operations have a direct impact on the environment, our communities, customers and co-workers,” said Meredith Gremel, vice president of corporate affairs and communications. “This report provides an overview of our journey and how SpartanNash is leveraging both our voice and footprint to make a difference in the communities we serve. We hope that all who read it are inspired by our stories and successes and continue to follow our Corporate Responsibility journey.”
Key highlights from the report include:
- $1.5 million in community contributions to education, health and wellness, hunger, patriotic and community initiatives.
- $1.8 million awarded to community nonprofits by the SpartanNash Foundation.
- 3,366 volunteer hours from 561 SpartanNash associates, benefiting 38 community partners during annual Helping Hands in the Community days of community service.
- Fair Food Pledge for migrant and seasonal workers and animal welfare commitments.
- More than 235.6 million pounds of materials diverted from landfills through reuse and recycling programs and 2.58 million pounds of food donated to 147 community partners.
- 5 percent miles per gallon fleet improvement over the company’s 2013 baseline, saving 212,000 gallons of fuel in six months.
- 45 million kilowatt hours of electricity saved annually as a result of energy projects completed between 2007 and 2014 at SpartanNash’s Grand Rapids Distribution Center, 91 corporate-owned grocery stores and 26 fuel centers in Michigan.
- As many as 1,500 local items throughout our stores, depending on the region.
- Organic sales growth of 29.9 percent in our wholesale business and 18.6 percent in our corporate-owned retail stores.
To exemplify its commitment to corporate responsibility, the SpartanNash report was printed in limited quantities using paper made from 100 percent post-consumer content, processed without chlorine, manufactured using renewable biogas and certified for reduced environmental impact by ECOLOGO. In addition, SpartanNash Graphic Services printed the report with soy-based inks.
SpartanNash (Nasdaq: SPTN) is a Fortune 400 company whose core businesses include distributing grocery products to independent grocery retailers, national accounts, its corporate-owned retail stores and U.S. military commissaries. SpartanNash serves customer locations in 47 states and the District of Columbia, Europe, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Bahrain and Egypt. SpartanNash currently operates 159 supermarkets, primarily under the banners of Family Fare Supermarkets, Family Fresh Market, D&W Fresh Market and SunMart. Through its MDV military division, SpartanNash is the leading distributor of grocery products to military commissaries in the United States.