To our family of valued store guests,
Since my first message less than two weeks ago, our world has been rapidly changing as we all take steps to contain the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Yet, what hasn’t changed is the unwavering commitment of our family of associates who are serving on the frontline to ensure our neighbors, customers, military families and those most at risk receive the essential food, medicine and groceries they need.
It is impossible to fully express the depth of my gratitude and how proud I am for the commitment everyone is making during these most uncertain and unprecedented times.
This commitment includes the many healthcare workers, first responders, farmers, food manufacturers, health and government officials, our grocery and distribution workers – and you. Your support, patience and simple acts of kindness and ‘thank yous’ to our associates and fellow customers have been greatly appreciated.
Our communities need us now more than ever, and our family of nearly 19,000 associates have answered the call – all while balancing schedules, concerns for their own health and wellbeing as well as that of their family and friends, adjusting to a new normal at home, and for many, the impact of schools closed, childcare changes, and the absence of fun social things to de-stress.
Whether we’re ensuring our supply chain remains strong, our trucks are on the road, our shelves are stocked, our facilities clean, our IT operations secure, our associates’ and customers’ safety, or recruiting additional help, the tremendous effort everyone has been putting forth is incredible.
As an added measure of our appreciation, we’re providing our hourly frontline teams with a weekly appreciation bonus on top of their weekly pay, and for those near one of our 155 corporate-owned stores, we’ve increased their everyday 10% discount on groceries to 20% on regularly priced items. That’s in addition to resources like our paid time off and sick pay continuation program and free online medical appointments.
We also are actively hiring displaced workers in all our communities. We’ve already hired over 1,000 new team members and we anticipate hiring an additional 1,000 temporary full- and part-time associates in retail and distribution to keep up with the unprecedented sales volume due to the impact of the coronavirus. If you are interested in joining our team of frontline heroes, search by position and location at careers.spartannash.com.
Shifting to the safety of our associates, customers and communities, let me reiterate that since the onset of COVID-19, our company has had two top priorities: the well-being and safety of our family of associates, customers and communities; and supporting health officials and government leaders to contain the virus. We have not wavered on either front.
In addition to our following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines and protocols for safety and prevention and redoubling our sanitation and deep cleaning efforts, over the past two weeks we have taken the following additional precautionary measures:
- Began installing the 36-square-inch clear plexiglass sneeze guards at every cashier station, deli counter, pharmacy, coffee kiosk, customer service center and fuel center check out as an added measure of safety for our family of associates and store guests. We anticipate having all 1,420 guards installed by April 3, 2020.
- As part of our social distancing efforts, all stores have placed signs and Xs on the floor to remind our customers and associates that the CDC is recommending remaining 6’ apart whenever possible. These are in place at the customer service desk, delis, pharmacies, self-checkouts, regular register lanes and other locations throughout our stores.
- All SpartanNash stores have set aside time twice per week for store guests most at risk of contracting coronavirus (COVID-19), including seniors, pregnant women and immunocompromised individuals. Reserved hours are every Tuesday and Thursday from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. In select stores, we are also temporarily expanding the senior discount to include our reserved hours, in addition to the regular senior discount day at those participating stores.
- We will begin offering free, same-day home delivery of prescription medications from our pharmacies, beginning April 1.
- Increased our Fast Lane staff to best accommodate the increased number of customers shopping online and requesting home delivery.
- Associates have been instructed to take their temperature at home before coming onsite to a SpartanNash location. Associates with a temperature greater than 100.4 are required to stay home for the safety and protection of others. Associates may also wear store-provided gloves.
- SpartanNash stores have suspended service at self-serve areas in all stores, including salad bars, soup bars and donut cases; however, many of these items are still offered in prepackaged containers.
- We have also suspended bottle returns, we will not allow the use of reusable bags, and all sales are final, due to the increased risk of cross-contamination.
For more than 100 years, our company has been a trusted provider of grocery products and we take this responsibility very seriously. I have no doubt that we will prevail together throughout this pandemic. I see examples every day of selfless acts of kindness, concern for the most vulnerable, and examples of patience and agile innovation during these times of high anxiety and stress.
Thank you for your continued trust in our company.
Interim President and CEO