What are the focus areas of support for the SpartanNash Foundation?
The SpartanNash Foundation supports 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations provide hunger relief, secure shelter and support our military heroes in the communities SpartanNash serves. The Foundation also supports legacy initiatives, including our more than 30-year partnership with Special Olympics.
Who are grants awarded to?
To be eligible to receive a grant from the SpartanNash Foundation, the organization must be a qualified 501(c)(3) nonprofit operating in the communities we serve.
Where can I find the grant application and submission schedule?
The grant application and schedule for submission are located at spartannash.com/foundation. Grant requests are reviewed on a quarterly basis. Grant applications must be submitted in one file attachment and sent to [email protected] by 5 p.m. ET of the day grant applications are due.
What territories do you support through the Foundation?
The SpartanNash Foundation supports organizations located within a 30-mile radius of our more than 145 retail stores, 19 wholesale and military distribution centers and service centers located in Grand Rapids, Mich.; Minneapolis; Norfolk, Va.; and Indianapolis. The Foundation will only consider applications from organizations providing services in these regions.
How often can our nonprofit organization apply for a grant?
Grants applicants are welcome to apply annually. Grants are reviewed by the Foundation Board of Trustees four times each year.
If I received funding through one of the four retail scan campaigns, can I still apply for a Foundation grant in the same year?
No. Any organization that receives funding through a retail fundraising scan will not be reviewed for a grant in the same calendar year. Organizations may receive one donation from the Foundation annually.
When will my full application be evaluated?
The full application review process takes approximately 12 weeks from the grant application due date. All organizations will be informed of their status once a decision has been made by the Foundation Board of Trustees.
Can I submit my application via mail?
All grant applications must be submitted via email at [email protected]. If you have technical difficulties in emailing your application due to file size, etc., please send an inquiry to this email for alternate options.
What is not funded through the SpartanNash Foundation?
The SpartanNash Foundation does not make grants to:
- Organizations that are not 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofits
- Organizations outside a 30-mile radius of our retail stores, distribution centers and service centers
- Organizations that do not align with our missions of hunger, shelter or patriotism
- Organizations that have previously received a donation from the SpartanNash Foundation through a retail scan held in the same calendar year
- National ceremonies, memorials, conferences, fundraising dinners, testimonials or other similar events
- Elected officials
- Organizations that do not comply with our Anti-Harassment and Discrimination Policy, including those that allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age or protected veteran status.
If any of the above apply to your organization or grant request, you will not be considered for funding.
Are there other ways to receive financial support from SpartanNash or the SpartanNash Foundation?
Yes. SpartanNash is committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. In addition to applying for Foundation grants, eligible 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations can also raise money through our Direct Your Dollars™ program.
If you are seeking support for a sponsorship or fundraiser – or would like to request gift cards or product donations – please email [email protected].