Report showcases advancements in environmental, social and governance initiatives, aligning with the Company's commitment to responsibly deliver the ingredients for a better life
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., Oct. 11, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Food solutions company SpartanNash (the "Company") (Nasdaq: SPTN) today released its 2022 Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Report. This report provides an in-depth look at the Company's advancements across its Associate career experience, sustainability initiatives, environmental health and safety practices, community outreach and philanthropy. SpartanNash also shared its 2025 ESG goals, which are aligned to the Company's Core Capabilities - people, operational excellence and insights that drive solutions.
"I'm proud of the intentional, cross-functional partnerships we've created to strategically embed the SpartanNash ESG goals into our overall strategic master action plan," said SpartanNash CEO Tony Sarsam. "As a People First Company, it is our responsibility to create solutions that improve the lives of our Associates and the communities we serve. We are committed to continuous progress and sharing our journey with SpartanNash's key stakeholders."
Highlights from the 2022 ESG report include:
- Reduced fleet mileage by 12%, exceeding goal of 10%.
- Decreased distribution center facility ozone-depleting emissions by 59%.
- Began converting distribution center lighting, leading to a 6% decrease in electricity use.
- Diverted 4.2 million pounds of food from landfills.
- Renewed focus on safety, reducing the Total Recordable Incident Rate by 57% since 2020, and decreased lost-time incidents by 72%.
- Expanded the tuition reimbursement program for full-time and part-time Associates and invested an additional $2,250 per year (from $3,000 to $5,250) per Associate looking to advance their education and their career at SpartanNash.
- Introduced paid parental leave for all Associates after the birth or adoption of a child.
- Highlighted governance practices and a demonstrated commitment to ongoing Board refreshment exemplified by the addition of three new directors in 2022.
Corporate Social Responsibility
- Donated over $1.5 million in product and financial contributions to areas that suffered disasters, including Ukraine, Puerto Rico, Florida, Kentucky and Mississippi.
- Re-introduced Helping Hands Day, an annual day of community service where Associates spent more than 3,300 combined hours volunteering.
- Donated $400,000 to alleviate food insecurity in the communities SpartanNash serves.
The report also details SpartanNash's overall ESG strategy, which touches every function of the business and promotes impressive levels of cross-departmental collaboration. ESG progress is monitored by dozens of senior leaders across the Company, along with the Executive Leadership Team and the Board of Directors.
Moving forward, SpartanNash will provide ESG highlights annually in its proxy statement and throughout the year on the corporate website. Meanwhile, the comprehensive ESG report will be published on a biennial basis. The next full report will publish in 2025, covering the Company's ESG progress in 2023 and 2024.
For more information about SpartanNash's ESG and community engagement, please visit SpartanNash.com/corp-responsibility/.
SpartanNash (Nasdaq: SPTN) is a food solutions company that delivers the ingredients for a better life. Committed to fostering a People First culture, the SpartanNash family of Associates is 17,500 and growing. SpartanNash operates two complementary business segments - food wholesale and grocery retail. Its global supply chain network serves wholesale customers that include independent and chain grocers, national retail brands, e-commerce platforms, and U.S. military commissaries and exchanges. The Company distributes products for every aisle in the grocery store, from fresh produce to household goods to its OwnBrands, which include the Our Family® portfolio of products. On the retail side, SpartanNash operates 144 brick-and-mortar grocery stores, primarily under the banners of Family Fare, Martin's Super Markets and D&W Fresh Market, in addition to dozens of pharmacies and fuel centers. Leveraging insights and solutions across its segments, SpartanNash offers a full suite of support services for independent grocers. For more information, visit spartannash.com.
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/spartannash-esg-report-highlights-progress-on-path-to-2025-goals-301952926.html
Powered by B2i Technologies, Inc.